Saturday, September 26, 2009

A Summer in Review Part I: Turning 30

As summer fizzles out (well, technically fizzled, as it's now officially autumn), I'm reminded that I've yet to post a blog update since summer began. And so, in a few paragraphs I'm forced to review a summer that has seemed, to the untrained eye, fairly uneventful. But, not so, my friends. I shall begin with some reflections on crossing over into the realm of maturity, and never looking back.

On June 8 I turned 30. That's right. I can hardly believe it myself. I'm not going to lie to you here. I was traumatized by the whole ordeal. When you're in your twenties, you're young and carefree. Once you turn 30, you hit the inevitable maturity marker, wherein any shortcomings on your part are not blamed on your youth, but rather on your stupidity. My birthday itself was rather uneventful. We spent the evening with my family. We had dinner, we opened presents. We ate cake and icecream and had a good time. It felt like any other birthday. But, as it was my 30th, I was forced to look back through my life to see what I have accomplished.

Sure, there are things that I regret in my past. Most of those things have to do with old friends or aquantances, that through silly youthful shortcomings, I might have hurt or insulted. I'm not proud of these moments, but I think I'm not fooling myself when I say that the majority of us have these little bouts of judgement callapses. However, when I look back, I mostly see that I have been truley blessed these 30 years.

I managed to get through grade school without seriously injuring myself or anyone else. I went to college, and although it wasn't my parents first choice of educational vocation, I graduated at the head of my class with a Bachelors of Fine Arts. Along the way, I met good friends who taught me a lot about who I am and what I want to be. I had my own solo art exhibit. I've traveled the world, and learned about people and culture, the Church, and history. I got married, and learned not only how to love, but how to be loved. I've had callings in the church, and felt inadiquate for each one. I started a career, and although it didn't make me rich, it was interesting, and I felt good at it. I became a homeowner, and realized that once you have a home, you never have money. You just have a lot of projects. I became a mother, and learned that no other career could be more rewarding than being able to raise your children, to teach them, to laugh with them, to watch them grow right before your eyes. In my 30 years, I've also been through a lot of trials. Some have been harder to deal with than others. But with the help of family, friends and not least of all my faith, I've been able to get through those trials.

So fine. I'm old. But 30 is the new 20, right? I may be getting laugh lines and crows feet. Maybe my knees hurt when there's a change in the weather. But I've accomplished a lot in these last 30 years. And I just pray that my next 30 will be as good as my last.

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry - there are always those who are older than you (by that I mean Kelly, of course). My biggest fear is that since it took a 30th birthday to get you to post on your blog, is this going to be the last post for like 10 years???!!! I hope not. You will soon have a new baby to post about, so hopefully that should help motivate some more frequent posting Ü

    ReplyDelete